Costa Rica’s Blue River Resort & Hot Springs is paradise. The beauty of the rainforest, the volcano views and the hot springs will enchant you. Whether you are there for a day trip or for the whole week, you’ll be in heaven.
Love it? Pin it to SAVE it!
Follow Living Linda on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Are you looking for a new destination to discover on your next holiday? Check out Blue River Resort and Hot Springs in Costa Rica.
Yesterday, Tweela, Paul (our friends from Canada), Gary and I took a day trip to Blue River Resort. First, we hiked down to the waterfalls.
Check out my video of the hike.
We stopped for some photo ops at the bottom.
Then we headed back to the resort and walked around the gardens.
Visited with the butterflies garden.
Be sure to inquire for a tour of the butterfly gardens. You’ll get a broad perspective from experienced and knowledgeable guides about butterflies, the various stages and processes of the butterfly life-cycle and the role of butterflies in nature.
I love the Blue Morpho Butterfly! It is so pretty. I think this is the best place I’ve gotten so many good photos. Excited.
And after we were tuckered out, we swam, went on the slide, frolicked under the waterfall and lounged by the pool.
Whether you are going for the day or week, you’ll feel like you are in heaven.
How to Get There
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs is about 90 minutes by car or shuttle from the international airport (LIR) in Liberia, Costa Rica, which is the gateway to the beach resorts of Guanacaste.
Del puente de Río Azul en Gavilán, 500 metros al norte, Fraccionamiento IDA.
El Gavilan 21306, Costa Rica
Blue River Estate and Blue River Resort Hot Springs & Spa are located less than a kilometer apart, within the district of Dos Rios, just inside the province of Alajuela. There are several villages in close proximity; chief among them, Dos Ríos.
From Liberia, Costa Rica
From the Liberia International Airport (Daniel Oduber) to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs, signs have been placed at key locations along the road, indicating directions and distance to the resort. This makes getting here easy. The road network is well-paved except for the final 20 km, which is gravel. The scenery along the way is spectacular! Along your drive the environment will gradually change from dry hot pastures to cool, tropical and lush rainforest, with gorgeous mountain views.
These directions begin from the Pan American Highway, at the major traffic light intersection in Liberia with a McDonalds on the northeast corner.
- Travel north 24 km (towards Nicaragua). Watch for and follow signs leading to Quebrada Grande and Blue River Resort & Hot Springs.
- Turn right (east) toward Quebrada Grande, driving past Potrerillos and through Quebrada Grande.
- The road follows past a park on your right and abruptly turns left. You’ll continue through a few villages and through a section of the Guanacaste Conservation Area (ACG) which leads to the town of Dos Rios.
- Come to Dos Rios, drive to the end of the road and turn right. Go one block and turn left. Again, follow the signs to Blue River Resort and Hot Springs.
- Drive through the village of El Gavilán and cross-the bridge, over the river, Rio Azul – one of two volcanic blue rivers here, and worth a look.
- A little further down on the other side of the bridge, come to a corner with a sign pointing out the left turn required to reach to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs, 600 meters down that road.
By car, the drive takes approximately 1 to 1 ½ hours.
**This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small amount of compensation when you purchase from my links which help to keep this blog running.**