Yesterday, I made a Three Cheese Peach and Fig Grilled Cheese. Today, I thought I would keep with the grilled sandwich and fig theme and make a Mozzarella, Basil and Fig Panini.
How I Make Paninis
When I make paninis, I don’t usually butter the bread like I would a grilled cheese.
I have a panini maker, but if you don’t you could use a grilled pan too cook the sandwiches in and then use a heavy pan (such as a cast iron skillet) to press down on the sandwich.
Paninis are usually made with other types of bread than sliced bread. Since I’m gluten sensitive, I usually always have gluten free bread but may not have a gluten free baguette on hand. I think they work just as well with regular sliced bread.
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- 5 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 2-3 ripe figs, sliced thin
- 12 leaves fresh basil
- Turn Griddler knob to panini. While it is heating up.
- Place 1 slice of bread on your Grillder. Top with one layer of mozzarella. Place figs slices next. Top with basil and another slice of mozzarella. Place second piece of bread on top.
- Close Griddler lid. Cook 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Check them to see if they are done to your liking. You may need another 1-2 minutes. I
Serve and enjoy!
How do you make paninis? If you’ve got another alternate cooking method, do share! And if you’ve discovered a particularly tasty filling combination, share that too…I’m always looking for new panini ideas.
Items used in this recipe: