Making soup doesn’t have to be difficult, and if you are working with fresh, high quality vegetables, you don’t even have to add stock.
My Panera Bread Copycat Broccoli Cheddar Soup was a big hit with my mom and husband the other day so I thought I would try this Cheesy Cauliflower Soup on them…and this cauliflower soup couldn’t be easier….and it is only 5 ingredients. O.K. Six, if you count the water.
Of course when you are working with so few ingredients, you have to make sure that each ingredient is as fresh as it can be. There’s no place to hide if something is off.
You’ll blanch cauliflower florets for a few minutes, purée them with some of the blanching liquid, salt, and butter, and cheese and serve with a sprinkle of nutmeg and parsley.
- 1 large head of cauliflower (cored and chopped into florets)
- 1 quart of water
- 2 teaspoons Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used a combination of cheddar and parmesan)
- 1 whole nutmeg, grated (optional)
- parsley, chopped (optional)
- Bring 1 quart of water to a rolling boil in a medium-sized pot. Add salt to the water.
- Add the cauliflower florets, and cook until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove florets to a bowl. Reserve cooking water.
- Working in batches, fill a high speed blender half-way with cooked cauliflower, add enough cooking water to the blender bowl so that it comes up a quarter of the way. Purée until desired consistency.
- Return soup to pot. Add cheese. Stir until melted. Add salt, to taste.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of nutmeg and parsley.
What I love about this soup is that the cauliflower really shines through, and it’s also pretty light.
I’m happy to report that both Gary and my mom loved this soup too.