Easy Turkey Cordon Bleu Roll-Ups baked with layers of gooey Swiss cheese and Mortadella inside with a crispy breadcrumb coating. They give the impression of being difficult to make but aren’t. Not one bit. And they are ready in less than 30 minutes which makes this an easy weeknight meal.
This easy Turkey Cordon Bleu Roll-ups is the first dish I’m blogging about since Daylight Saving Time ended over the weekend. I had to rush to get it all done because the sun in my office (where I have my photo set-up) sets an hour earlier. Yikes! Soon it will be dark at 4:30 p.m. I may have to start preparing dinner after breakfast so that I can get the food photographed in time. How are you liking the time change?
I bought turkey cutlets at Whole Foods last week and intended to make Turkey Milanese while my mom was still here. But, we ended going out to dinner a couple of nights, so now I have 3 turkey cutlets for the two of us and instead of making Turkey Milanese, I decided to try making turkey cordon bleu. I made Chicken Cordon Blue a few weeks ago and it was amazing. So why not Turkey Cordon Bleu and make them into roll-ups?
Turkey cutlets – turkey breasts pounded thin with a meat mallet – are rolled up with Swiss cheese and instead of ham, I used Mortadella. To seal in the juicy, tender turkey the roulades get schmeared with a blend mayo/mustard and dredged in parmesan bread crumbs before baking.
- 3 turkey cutlets, ¼-inch thick
- 1 Tablespoon coarse or Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise (I used Just Mayo)
- sea salt and fresh black pepper
- ½ cup gluten free bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Penzey’s Sunny Paris spice blend
- 3 slices Mortadella
- 3 slices deli Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a roasting pan.
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise and mustard. Stir to combine.
- In a second wide shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, parmesan, salt pepper, thyme and Sunny Paris spices together.
- Season the turkey cutlets lightly on each side with salt and pepper. Place a slice each of swiss and Mortadella (trim to fit the cutlet, if needed) over top and roll up beginning from the smallest end of the turkey. Secure with a toothpick or two. Repeat until they are all rolled up.
- With one hand, spread mayo/mustard onto cutlet making sure to get sides of roll-up. Place roll-up in bowl with bread crumbs. Using your hands to pat the crumbs on. Set in roasting pan and repeat until all are covered with crumbs.
- Bake about 20 minutes, depending on the thickness/size of your cutlets (internal temp should reach 164-175 degrees F). Remove from oven and allow to set 5 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks and cut into slices 1-2 inches thick or serve as is.
I made Jasmine rice and steamed broccoli to go with these Turkey Cordon Bleu roll-ups which you can serve them whole or cut them into slices for a nice presentation
Since we have one roll-up left (the largest one), I’m hoping to make turkey cordon bleu panini. I’ll let you know how that goes.
Update: I made the turkey cordon bleu panini. It was AWESOME. You can find out more about it here.