This past Sunday evening I was walking from my office on one side of the house to our bedroom. As I’m passing the kitchen island something black on the baseboard catches my eye. I thought it was a roach … which is bad enough … but upon closer inspection I noticed it was furry. Ewww!
I immediately called out for Gary to come have a look. He took of the kick plate to discover this … we have mold. Double Ewww!
My husband, being the handyman that he is, wanted to clean it up and go about our business. I said, “no! Do you know how dangerous mold can be? It can cause all kinds of health problems like breathing problems, headaches, depression, fatigue, joint pain. We need to call our insurance company and make a claim.”
I called the insurance company the next day to make a claim.
I’m forever grateful that after our first year in our house and I was shopping for a new homeowner’s policy that I added a $10,000 mold rider to our policy.
Our insurance adjuster suggested that we call a plumber to see if they can detect where the mold is originating and he would be sending out someone from a mold remediation company as well as an insurance estimator.
The plumber discovered a hair-line crack in the pipe in the foundation underneath the cabinet. The plumber was able to fix the leak….but look at all that mold.
The day before yesterday, someone from the mold remediation company came. It was not good news! Mold and moisture had taken over the entire kitchen island and would have to be demolished and we would have to get a whole new one after the remediation process.
Yesterday, the insurance estimator came to assess the damage, take measurements and then file his report with the insurance company as to how much it would take to replace everything.
In the meantime, the guy from the mold remediation company told us to keep the cabinet door closed … and now we wait for the insurance company to get in touch with us about the next steps.