In case you missed my post a couple of weeks ago, I discovered mold in our kitchen.
By July 28, we still hadn’t heard from the person handling our claim. Mind you this is 17 days after I discovered the toxic mold, so Gary and I decided to pay a little visit to our insurance agent (they handle a lot of different insurance companies) to see if they could get the ball rolling.
Within a matter of hours, we had someone call us to schedule the mold remediation. I guess it pays to complain.
August 2 ~ The mold remediation company arrived at 8 a.m. to start the demolition of the island and then cleaning the air. Before they started, they put up plastic all around the area to contain any mold spores as they were cleaning.
They were able to save the doors but everything else was destroyed … oh and they broke the granite countertop in the process. Fortunately, they took photos and sent it to the insurance company for a revised estimate.
When they left at the end of the day, they had two HEPA machines in the enclosed area to dry out the moisture and clean the air. The machines stayed on until Friday when the air hygienist came to test the air to make sure the mold spores didn’t spread into the duct work.
August 5 ~ The air hygienist came to test the air. We were lucky! The mold was contained.
August 8 ~ They mold remediation company came this morning to remove the HEPA machines and plastic. Now we are left with this…
Mind you we’ve had no access to our kitchen so we’ve been going out to eat. This is going to get expensive. We do have “additional living expenses” clause in our insurance policy, but we can’t seem to get an answer from the insurance agent as to what that means.